BRABUS has been building the world's fastest street-legal sedans for many years. This tradition started in 1996 with the BRABUS E V12 that had a top speed of 330 km/h (205 mph), and continued in 2003 with the E V12 Biturbo that reached 350.2 km/h (217.6 mph). In 2006 the BRABUS ROCKET, built in small-series production based on the first edition of the Mercedes CLS, improved the world record to 365.7 km/h (222.7 mph). The BRABUS E V12 "one of ten" based on the latest E-Class, pushed the record to 370 km/h (230 mph).
The world debut of the new BRABUS ROCKET 800 from BRABUS (Brabus-Allee, D-46240 Bottrop, phone + 49 / (0) 2041 / 777-0, fax + 49 / (0) 2041 / 777 111, Internet www.brabus.com) at the 2011 IAA in Frankfurt/Main now continues this unique success story. The high-performance automobile based on the new Mercedes CLS generation is powered by a BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo engine that produces 800 hp (788 bhp) / 588 kW of power and a peak torque of 1,420 Nm (1,047 lb-ft), which in the car is limited to 1,100 Nm (811 lb-ft). The exclusively appointed BRABUS ROCKET 800, built to order starting at EUR 429,000, reaches a top speed in excess of 370 km/h (230 mph) and accelerates from 0 to 300 km/h (186 mph) in just 23.8 seconds.
Like its predecessors the new BRABUS ROCKET 800 is also powered by a 12-cylinder high-capacity engine that was converted to 800 V12 Biturbo specifications in the BRABUS engine-building shop. Using state-of-the-art machining processes and with utmost precision in every last detail the engine, based on the latest Mercedes 600 engines, underwent a displacement increase from 5.5 to 6.3 liters (336 to 384 cu. in.).
The displacement increase comprises a special crankshaft with longer stroke, larger, forged pistons and an increase in cylinder bore across the board. Intake and outlet ports of both cylinder heads are optimized for mixture flow, and fitted with sports camshafts.
The intake side was also completely reworked: the hood of the ROCKET 800 features a carbon-fiber ram-air intake system that gets its combustion air through slits in the BRABUS front element.
Another custom development is the BRABUS 800 Biturbo system. It comprises two special exhaust manifolds with integrated high-performance turbochargers, and four water-to-air intercoolers. The stainless-steel high-performance exhaust system with free-flow metal catalysts and butterfly valve was also created specifically for the CLS floorpan.
Just as elaborate was the implantation of the V12 engine and all its peripherals into the modified engine bay of the sedan. Numerous components such as the engine mounts had to be custom designed.
Another engineering masterpiece of the BRABUS engineers is the newly configured on-board electronics system. It includes newly programmed engine mapping that contributes equally to achieving maximum power yield and to meeting the current EURO V emission standards. Just as important is the adaption to the driving dynamics systems such as traction control, ESP, ABS and Brake Assist.
The BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo engine is lubricated with high-tech motor oil from technology partner ARAL and produces 800 hp (788 bhp) / 588 kW at 5,500 rpm. The even more enormous peak torque of 1,420 Nm (1,047 lb-ft), available from a low 2,100 rpm, is limited electronically in the car to 1,100 Nm (811 lb-ft).
For the first time the BRABUS engine specialists combine this high-end engine with a seven-speed quick-shift gearbox. Gears are shifted by means of shift paddles on the steering wheel or automatically. The BRABUS limited-slip differential, available with various final drive ratios, optimizes traction of the rear-wheel-drive car.
The BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo engine and the entire powertrain are operated with high-performance lubricants from technology partner ARAL.
With the longest available final-drive ratio the BRABUS ROCKET 800 reaches a top speed of more than 370 km/h (230 mph), making it the world's fastest street-legal sedan. But this exclusive high-performance automobile is tops in other areas as well: 0 -- 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds, 0 -- 200 km/h (124 mph) in 9.8 seconds and 0 -- 300 km/h (186 mph) in 23.8 seconds are figures that are as unique as this BRABUS automobile itself.
To keep the enormous performance of the world's fastest sedan safely in check at all times, the vehicle's aerodynamic properties, suspension and brakes were modified extensively.
Like all other BRABUS body components for the new CLS, the ROCKET 800 front element that includes the front spoiler and the radiator frame was developed in the wind tunnel. The aerodynamic-enhancement components for the ROCKET 800 are manufactured form ultra-light yet high-strength carbon fiber.
The front spoiler features large air inlets and side air vents to ensure optimal air supply of radiators, oil coolers and front brakes. Just as important is that it also minimizes lift on the front axle while improving drag. The air inlets above the radiator cutout provide the ram-air intake system of the 12-cylinder engine with ample combustion air.
The air vents in the front fenders are part of the sporty-elegant yet understated appearance of the four-door car. BRABUS side skirts with integrated LED entrance lights calm the airstream along the vehicle's sides. They also form a transition to the carbon-fiber fender flares on the rear axle, which add 40 millimeters (1.6 in.) to the width of the ROCKET 800 compared to a stock CLS.
To achieve an optimal aerodynamic balance, the BRABUS design studio has developed a rear wing and a rear diffuser for the CLS body. Side air vents in the rear bumper round out the sporty appearance.
A high-performance vehicle such as the BRABUS ROCKET 800 naturally also has a precisely calibrated high-end suspension. A height-adjustable coilover suspension was developed in cooperation with technology partner BILSTEIN. In addition to an adjustable ride height the gas-pressure shocks on front and rear axle feature ten selectable settings each for bound and rebound. Sport sway bars give the car even more agile turn-in and reduce body roll during fast cornering.
Maximum stopping power and absolutely fade-resistant brakes are further active safety features of the ROCKET 800. The BRABUS high-performance brake system was adapted to work with the Brake Assist system of the CLS. On the front axle it consists of vented and grooved steel brake discs that measure 380 x 37 millimeters (15.0 x 1.45 in.) and 12-piston aluminum fixed calipers. Vented and grooved steel discs measuring 360 x 28 millimeters (14.2 x 1.1 in.) and six-piston fixed aluminum calipers on the rear axle complete the extremely efficient and durable brake system.
The immense top speed of the BRABUS ROCKET 800, for street operations limited electronically to 350 km/h (217 mph), necessitates special high-performance tires. Technology partners Continental, Pirelli and YOKOHAMA mount the 19-inch one-piece BRABUS Monoblock F wheels with high-speed-capable tires. The front axle features size 9.5Jx19 wheels and tires in size 255/35 ZR 19. Tires in size 285/30 ZR 19 mounted on identically sized wheels on the rear axle provide excellent traction.
The ergonomically shaped BRABUS sport steering wheel with aluminum shift paddles always guarantees perfect, close contact with the suspension. Aluminum pedals, footrest and shifter add further sporty highlights. The BRABUS speedometer with 400-km/h (250-mph) dial is also part of the custom-tailored interior as are stainless-steel scuff plates with backlit ROCKET 800 logo.
They welcome driver and passengers to the exclusive atmosphere of a BRABUS fine leather interior. The company upholstery shop has created an all-leather gray interior crafted with utmost precision from the finest supple leather. The leather is combined with high-gloss-polished black piano wood and a headliner made from black Alcantara. The headrests are embroidered with a BRABUS and a ROCKET 800 logo.
BRABUS ROCKET 800 -- Technical Data
- Four-door sedan based on C 218-series Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class.
- Steel unibody welded to floorpan, widened by 40 millimeters with BRABUS carbon-fiber fender flares.
- BRABUS ROCKET 800 aerodynamic-enhancement kit for reduced lift on front and rear axle and reduced drag. Consists of front element with integrated front spoiler and air inlets for the ram-air intake, air vents in the front fenders, side skirts with integrated entrance lights, rear wing and rear diffuser, rear fascia with side air vents.
- BRABUS hood with integrated ram-air intake system.
- Length : 4.996 mm (196.7 in.)
- Width : 1.881 mm (74.1 in.)
- Height : 1.371 mm (54.0 in.)
- Curb weight : 1.980 kg (4,365 lbs.)
- Gross vehicle weight : 2.415 kg (5,324 lbs.)
- Tank capacity/reserve : 66 l / 14.0 l (17.4 / 3.7 gal.)
- BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo high-capacity engine based on Mercedes 600.
- BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo engine conversion consisting of: Displacement increase to 6.3 liters (384 cu. in.) by means of a special crankshaft with longer stroke, larger cylinder bore and corresponding larger pistons. Mixture-flow-optimized intake and outlet ports of both cylinder heads, including installation of high-performance camshafts.
- BRABUS 800 V12 Biturbo system with two high-performance turbochargers with optimized exhaust manifolds and integrated turbine housings, more efficient intercooling system with four water-to-air intercoolers and ram-air intake integrated into hood.
- BRABUS stainless-steel twin exhaust system with free-flow metal catalysts and butterfly valve. Newly programmed mapping for engine and on-board diagnostics.
- Displacement : 6.233 cc (380.4 cu. in)
- Compression ratio : 9.0 : 1
- Rated power output : 800 hp (788 bhp) / 588 kW at 5,500 rpm
- Peak torque : 1,420 Nm (1,047 lb-ft) from 2,100 rpm (electronically limited to 1,100 Nm / 811 lb-ft)
- max. CO2 emissions : 372 g/km (595 g/mile)
- Fuel type : Super plus (98 ROZ)
- Motor oil : ARAL
- Rear-wheel drive with limited-slip differential and ESP
- Reinforced seven-speed quick-shift automatic gearbox
- Gear ratios:
- 1st gear : 4.38
- 2nd gear : 2.86
- 3rd gear : 1.92
- 4th gear : 1.37
- 5th gear : 1.00
- 6th gear : 0.82
- 7th gear : 0.73
- 1st reverse gear : 3.42
- 2nd reverse gear : 2.23
- BRABUS limited-slip differential with a locking rate of 40 percent
- Final drive ratio : 2.65 : 1
- Independent front and rear suspension with height-adjustable BRABUS coilover sport suspension developed in cooperation with BILSTEIN.
- Front axle : Three-link suspension, anti-dive geometry, Height-adjustable BRABUS struts with gas-pressure shocks with 10-way adjustable bound and rebound, coil springs, BRABUS sport sway bar.
- Rear axle : Multi-link suspension, anti-dive and anti-squat geometry. Height-adjustable BRABUS struts with gas-pressure shocks with 10-way adjustable bound and rebound, coil springs, BRABUS sport sway bar.
- One-piece BRABUS Monoblock F alloy wheels with YOKOHAMA ADVAN Sport high-performance tires.
- Front: 9.5J x 19 H2 with size 255/35 ZR 19 tires
- Rear: 9.5J x 19 H2 with size 285/30 ZR 19 tires
- Dual circuit brake system with Brake Assist and BRABUS high-performance brake system.
- Front: BRABUS 12-piston fixed aluminum calipers with vented and grooved steel discs measuring 380 x 37 mm (15.0 x 1.45 in.)
- Rear: BRABUS six-piston fixed aluminum calipers with vented and grooved steel discs measuring 360 x 28 mm (14.2 x 1.1 in.)
- 0 - 100 km/h (62 mph): 3.7 sec.
- 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 9.8 sec.
- 0 - 300 km/h (186 mph): 23.8 sec.
- Top speed: more than 370 km/h / 230 mph (for on-road operations electronically limited to 350 km/h / 217 mph due to tires)
- Max. city : 23.8 l / 100 km (9.9 mpg)
- Max. highway : 11.1 l / 100 km (21.2 mpg)
- Max. combined : 15.7 l / 100 km (15 mpg)
[Source : BRABUS]