YOKOHAMA, Japan : Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the launch of the all-new Nissan Lafesta Highway STAR minivan, which goes on sale today at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
The redesigned Lafesta Highway STAR is a new minivan featuring stylish design, high functionality and strong environmental performance.
Its exterior features a horizontal chrome grille on the front and striking aerodynamic design - expressing sportiness and a bold presence - characteristic of the Nissan Highway STAR series. Enhanced features and equipment include the adoption of dual power sliding rear doors for easy entry/exit and easily operable, versatile seat configurations. The Lafesta Highway STAR is also equipped with Idling Stop, which helps it to realize best-in-class*1 fuel economy of 16.0km/L under Japan's 10-15 mode *2 testing cycle for emission certification and fuel economy performance.
Every new Lafesta Highway STAR grade achieves super-low emissions vehicle (SU-LEV) certification by emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards. Since the two-wheel drive (2WD) grades achieve improved fuel efficiency by adopting a direct injection engine, many of them qualify for the tax exemption for environmentally friendly vehicles*3, with automobile acquisition and weight taxes reduced by either 75 percent, or 50 percent, depending on the grade and options.
In 2010, Nissan introduced its two-pillar strategy to reduce CO2 emissions: "zero emissions" and "PURE DRIVE." PURE DRIVE vehicles are designed to achieve best-in-class fuel economy for mass-production models by equipping them with optimal next-generation eco-technologies such as Idling Stop, clean diesel and hybrid systems. In Japan, the new Lafesta Highway STAR*4 is the sixth in the series of PURE DRIVE vehicles with the idling stop system to be introduced. The new Lafesta Highway Star will only be offered for sale in the Japanese domestic market.
Key features of the new Lafesta Highway STAR include:
1. Stylish Highway STAR design
2. Excellent functionality that responds to various customer needs
3. High levels of driving and environmental performance
Nissan Lafesta Highway STAR Overview
The sporty Highway STAR design projects a strong presence with its signature horizontal chrome grille, which is widely adopted in Highway STAR models. Additionally, a front aero bumper, side sill protector and rear bumper color that matches the body, all help to emphasize the vehicle's wide stance and low center of gravity. The side panels combine strong character lines and surfaces flowing from the nose to the side, while the rear license finisher is mounted on a chrome horizontal bar embossed with the vehicle name. The new Lafesta Highway STAR is available in five exterior colors, including Sparkling Black (P) that highlights its sportiness.
Extensive use of black in the refined interior design provides a sense of elegance and sportiness.
With the edge of the meter hood as the starting point, the instrument panel is designed to embrace the driver, for a cockpit-like feel. Use of chrome-plated and silver-colored finishers accentuate the sportiness of the interior. The available black jacquard seat cloth with brown piping and stitching adds to the interior's quality feel (Highway STAR G).
Packaging, Seating and Sliding Doors
The Lafesta Highway STAR's refined interior features theater-like seating, where each row of seats is slightly elevated so that each passenger's hip point gets gradually higher from the front seat to the third-row seat. This helps to improve visibility for all occupants. Although it provides the ample interior space of a three-series grade vehicle (according to the Japanese taxation classification system) its small minimum turning radius of 5.3 meters is equal to that of a five-series grade car.
Flexible seating has been adopted, with captain seats that can quickly be turned into a bench seat by placing a seating surface (retracted into the underseat tray of the second-row passenger side seat when not in use) in between the second-row seats. Versatile seating configurations are available, depending on the number of passengers and the amount of luggage, with the use of flexible seating features and the third-row, 50/50 split seat. The third row seats can also be reclined. A special seat cloth with a cleanable feature - both fluids and oily stains can easily be removed - is adopted for the Highway STAR G.
Dual Power Sliding Doors
Spacious dual power sliding doors, with an opening width of 686 millimeters, offers more convenience when getting in and out of the Highway STAR in small parking spaces or for those accompanied by small children or infants. The power sliding doors can be easily operated with the Intelligent Key, or the switch on the instrument panel (standard on Highway STAR G, factory-installed option for other grades). A touch sensitive, auto-retract function has been adopted for the power sliding doors to help prevent anything from getting caught in the door.
Driving and Environmental Performance
An advanced 2.0-liter direct injection engine is offered with 2WD grades, combining strong driving performance with high fuel efficiency while delivering high torque. Fuel economy is rated as best-in-class. For 4WD grades a 2.0L engine is adopted, which provides agile and smooth driving.
An electronic five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is adopted for 2WD grades, while four-wheel drive (4WD) grades feature an electronic four-speed automatic transmission.
The Lafesta Highway STAR utilizes a four-wheel independent multilink rear suspension, providing sporty drivability and secure straight-line stability at higher speeds. High body rigidity also assists with stability and comfort for passengers.
Idling Stop System
Standard on Highway STAR G (2WD) and Highway STAR (2WD) grades is the idling stop system. The idling stop system automatically stops the engine when the car is stationary, such as when waiting at a traffic light, for improved fuel efficiency. When the car is not moving when driving on a gentle slope while the idling stop system is in operation, the Idling Stop Start Assist function prevents the car from moving backward, even if the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.
While Idling Stop is engaged, the air conditioner works only as a ventilator. If it detects an increase in cabin temperature, the engine restarts and the air conditioner comes on again to ensure a comfortable cabin space.
Other Key Safety and Environmental Technologies
- Automatic headlight system (Standard on Highway STAR G, factory-installed option on other grades)
- Halogen headlights (projector type with low beam/manual-control)
- Xenon headlights (projector type with low beam/auto-control) (Factory-installed option)
- Halogen foglight-equipped front bumper (Standard on Highway STAR G)
- LED High-Mount Stop Lamp
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) with Traction Control system (TCS) functionality included (Standard on Highway STAR 2WD and Highway STAR G 2WD)
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), Brake Assist
- Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) curtain airbags, driver and passenger seat SRS side airbag system (Factory-installed option on Highway STAR and Highway STAR G)
- SRS airbag system for driver and front passenger seats
- Body construction for pedestrian protection
- Every grade achieves SU-LEV certification, emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards
- ECO Indicator installed on the instrument panel, which feeds the driver information for improved fuel-efficient driving, judged by how much the accelerator is pressed and the vehicle speed
Sales Target 1,200 units/month
Price Range 1,991,850 yen to 2,483,250 yen, including consumption tax
Sales launch events Sat., June 18 - Sun., June 19 and Sat., June 25 - Sun., June 26, 2011
1. *1: 2.0L gasoline engine class minivan for seven passengers (As of Mar. 2011, Nissan internal figures)
2. *2: Fuel economy of Highway STAR (2WD)
3. *3: By achieving both SU-LEV certification by emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards and 25% improvement in fuel economy over 2010 standards, the automobile acquisition tax for new vehicles that are registered by March 31, 2012, will receive a 75% reduction. Automobile weight tax for new vehicles registered by April 30, 2012, will receive a 75% reduction.
By achieving both SU-LEV certification by emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards and 20% or 15% improvement in fuel economy over 2010 standards, the automobile acquisition tax for new vehicles that are registered by March 31, 2012, will receive a 50% reduction. The automobile weight tax for new vehicles that are registered by April 30, 2012, will receive a 50% reduction.
4. *4: Highway STAR G (2WD) and Highway STAR (2WD)
Images : 2011 Nissan Lafesta - Highway Star