2012 MINI Roadster
MUNICH : January 28, 2012 - The driving fun sewn into the fabric of every MINI never fails to bring a smile to the face. And now it can also be enjoyed – with the roof up or down – in the first model from the brand designed strictly for two people. The MINI Roadster is the sixth model in the British premium carmaker’s line-up and the first open-top two-seater in the brand’s history. This typically MINI interpretation of a compact roadster gives the small car segment another shot in the arm. Powerful engines and sophisticated chassis technology with model-specific tuning see to it that the characteristic MINI go-kart feeling is always on tap.
The MINI Roadster’s classical soft-top roof, which can be opened and closed quickly and easily, ensures open-air driving pleasure is there to be lapped up at every opportunity. When it comes to optimising occupant protection the MINI Roadster is fitted with a pair of roll-over bars behind the seats. And whether the roof is open or closed, the driver and passenger have a 240-litre load compartment at their disposal. The wide through-loading facility into the passenger compartment provides an additional dose of practicality.
Design: classical roadster lines, hallmark MINI design language.
The faithful reproduction of the hallmark MINI design language within the proportions of a roadster gives the open-top two-seater an unmistakable and irresistible charisma. Even with the roof closed the MINI Roadster displays an elegant, sweeping silhouette, with the transition from soft-top to rear end highlighting its characteristic three-box design particularly clearly. Characteristic MINI design features leave little doubt as to the brand identity of the new model.
Engines: impressive power, exemplary efficiency.
The MINI Roadster will be available with a choice of four powerful – yet also highly efficient – petrol and diesel engines from launch. The model line-up ranges from the MINI Cooper Roadster (90 kW/122 hp), via the MINI Cooper SD Roadster (105 kW/143 hp) and MINI Cooper S Roadster (135 kW/184 hp), to the sharpest performer of all, the 155 kW/211 hp MINI John Cooper Works Roadster.
Chassis: agility and precision ensure unbeatable driving fun.
Teaming up with the powerful engines and customary MINI front-wheel drive, chassis technology of a quality unparalleled in the small car segment and tuned specially for the MINI Roadster imbues the new model with the brand’s hallmark driving fun. Electric Power Steering with speed-sensitive power assistance comes as standard, as does DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), while Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC) – standard on the MINI John Cooper Works Roadster, optional on all other models – adds even greater assurance on slippery surfaces and additional sports performance under dynamic cornering.
Optimised weight balance and aerodynamic properties.
A torsionally rigid body (complete with special strengthening elements) and
low centre of gravity enhance both the handling agility and safety of the MINI Roadster. Meanwhile, front and head-thorax airbags, an extremely rigid windscreen frame and polished stainless steel roll-over bars fixed to the body join forces in the name of occupant protection. The aerodynamic balance of the MINI Roadster is optimised by an active rear spoiler, which extends automatically once the car reaches a speed of 80 km/h (50 mph).
High-quality standard equipment, broad scope for individualisation.
The MINI Roadster underlines its premium character with a high-quality range of standard equipment, including air conditioning (MINI Cooper S Roadster, MINI Cooper SD Roadster, MINI John Cooper Works Roadster), electrically adjustable exterior mirrors, Park Distance Control, height-adjustable seats and an audio system with MP3-compatible CD player and AUX IN connection. Levels of comfort and individuality can be further enhanced by specifying attractive options such as xenon Adaptive Headlights, black headlight housing, Comfort Access and the Always Open Timer. And the MINI Roadster also offers in-car use of innovative MINI Connected infotainment and communications functions.
Made in England: MINI Roadster built at MINI Plant Oxford.
The character of the MINI Roadster also owes much to its British roots; it will be produced alongside the MINI, MINI Clubman, MINI Convertible and MINI Coupé in Great Britain. The arrival of the new model sees the assembly plant on the outskirts of Oxford, the press shop in Swindon and the Hams Hall engine factory gain even further in importance. MINI already ranks as the country’s third-largest carmaker, and the BMW Group is investing around £500 million in the ongoing expansion and modernisation of its manufacturing facilities in Britain up to 2014.
At a glance.
• MINI pushes ahead with the rigorous expansion of its model family. The latest addition to the range is the MINI Roadster, the sixth model in the brand’s current line-up and the first open-top two-seater in its history. Cutting-edge, typically MINI interpretation of the compact, two-seater sports car concept with manually-opening soft-top roof; first premium car of its kind in the small car segment; unique package appealing to demanding target groups with a penchant for elegant sportiness, spontaneous open-top driving fun and irresistible design; inspiring handling fuelled by powerful engines and sophisticated chassis technology; unrivalled scope for individualisation.
• Faithful reproduction of the MINI design language within the proportions of a roadster; clear focus on two-seat design and open-air driving experience; sporting charisma, with short overhangs, powerful over-the-wheel stance and high waistline typical of MINI; unmistakable design features and hallmark details underline the car’s brand identity.
• Three-box body structure with a strikingly stepped rear end; elegantly sweeping roadster look thanks to heavily raked A-pillars and a waistline rising up slightly along the length of the body towards the flat rear end; stands more than 20 millimetres lower than the MINI Convertible; manually operated soft-top roof with straightforward mechanism for spontaneous, rapid opening and closing.
• Full-blooded go-kart feeling and outstanding safety levels thanks to bespoke chassis set-up, low centre of gravity, torsionally rigid body and optimised aerodynamic properties; Electric Power Steering and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) as standard, DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) with EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock Control) optional (standard in the MINI John Cooper Works Roadster); roll-over bars in polished stainless steel; active rear spoiler extends automatically at 80 km/h (50 mph); MINI John Cooper Works Roadster with standard John Cooper Works aerodynamic kit.
• Focused two-seater concept with stowage area behind the driver and passenger seats, through-loading system and 240-litre luggage area; wide-opening tailgate for comfortable loading; optional: wind protection insert between the roll-over bars.
• Latest-generation four-cylinder engines; most powerful petrol and diesel units in the MINI line-up; MINI TwinPower Turbo technology; MINI John Cooper Works Roadster with 155 kW/211 hp, MINI Cooper S Roadster with 135 kW/184 hp, MINI Cooper Roadster with 90 kW/122 hp,
MINI Cooper SD Roadster with 105 kW/143 hp; exemplary efficiency thanks to MINIMALISM technology.
• Bespoke colour and materials concept for upholstery, exterior mirrors, trim elements and Colour Lines; exclusive MINI Yours options and Sport Stripes in contrasting colour provide further individualisation; high-quality standard equipment including speed-sensitive steering assistance, electrically adjustable exterior mirrors, Park Distance Control, air conditioning (MINI Cooper S Roadster, MINI Cooper SD Roadster, MINI John Cooper Works Roadster) and audio system with MP3-compatible CD player and AUX IN connection; options include black headlight housing, xenon Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Access, automatic climate control and the Always Open Timer; wide range of entertainment and communications options: Harman Kardon hi-fi loudspeaker system, MINI navigation system, MINI Connected features including Driving Excitement app, web radio, Google services, RSS news feeds, Mission Control, and in-car use of Facebook and Twitter.
• Engine variants:
MINI John Cooper Works Roadster: Four-cylinder petrol engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo technology and numerous technological details carried over directly from motor sport.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 155 kW/211 hp at 6,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 260 Nm/192 lb-ft at 1,850 – 5,600 rpm
- (280 Nm/207 lb-ft with Overboost at 2,000 – 5,100 rpm).
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 6.5 seconds,
- top speed: 237 km/h (147 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU:
- 7.3 litres/100 kilometres (38.7 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions: 169 g/km.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 135 kW/184 hp at 5,500 rpm,
- max. torque: 240 Nm/177 lb-ft at 1,600 – 5,000 rpm
- (260 Nm/192 lb-ft with Overboost at 1,730 – 4,500 rpm).
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 7.0 seconds,
- top speed: 227 km/h (141 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU: 6.0 litres/100 kilometres
- (47.1 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions: 139 g/km.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 90 kW/122 hp at 6,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 160 Nm/118 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm.
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 9.2 seconds,
- top speed: 199 km/h (124 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU: 5.7 litres/100 kilometres
- (49.6 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions: 133 g/km.
- MINI TwinPower Turbo technology.
- Displacement: 1,995 cc,
- output: 105 kW/143 hp at 4,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 305 Nm/225 lb-ft at 1,750 – 2,700 rpm.
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 8.1 seconds,
- top speed: 212 km/h (132 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU: 4.5 litres/100 kilometres
- (62.8 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions: 118 g/km.
- Length: 3,734 millimetres (MINI Cooper Roadster: 3,728 millimetres,
- MINI John Cooper Works Roadster: 3,758 millimetres)
- Width: 1,683 millimetres
- Height: 1,390 millimetres (MINI Cooper Roadster: 1,384 millimetres,
- MINI John Cooper Works Roadster: 1,391 millimetres)
- Wheelbase: 2,467 millimetres