In the 50th anniversary year of the iconic DB4GT Zagato, Aston Martin introduces a modern interpretation and celebration of the famous Aston Martin and Zagato collaboration with the V12 Zagato concept. This new Vantage-based concept will be premiered on the shores of Lake Como, Italy at the Villa D'Este Concours on 21st May to gauge customer interest.
Reviving a collaboration between Aston Martin and bespoke coachbuilder, Zagato, which has produced some of the most beautiful and sought-after cars in the world, the partnership takes inspiration from the past, to create a modern descendent of classics such as the V8 Vantage Zagato and DB7 Zagato.
Fifty years ago Italian design houses like Zagato were widely seen as leading the way with new automotive designs. The challenge today for Aston Martin is to create concepts that continue the succession of iconic cars from previous eras.
"The V12 Zagato is an elegant yet brutal design which reflects the great balance between race performance and pure Aston Martin style. The original DB4GT Zagato was a true icon, powerful and graceful; the new design is a true representation of the spirit of DB4GT Zagato. The muscular organic forms define the thoroughbred nature of the car's racing credentials.
Featuring a new handcrafted aluminium body, the V12 Zagato delivers a beautiful and muscular design not possible using pre-formed panel techniques. Using the influences and skill of nearly 100 years of heritage in the craft, every aluminium panel was formed using an English wheel and traditionally crafted body bucks. Each front wing alone comprises seven separate pieces of aluminium, combined and then hand finished to give one flowing form. Another iconic Zagato design cue is the double bubble roof created in this case from five separate pieces illustrating further the intensity of craftsmanship involved in the construction of the V12 Zagato."
Following the tradition of new Aston Martin introductions, the V12 Zagato will appear in the form of an endurance race car to compete at the 2011 24 hours of Nürburgring 24 hour race on 25-26 June.
Aston Martin V12 Zagato Endurance Race Car Specification
- Two door, two seat coupe body
- Bonded aluminium structure
- Bespoke steel roll cage.
- Hand crafted Aluminium body
- All alloy quad overhead cam 48 valve 5935cc V12
- Compression ratio 10.9:1
- Front mid-mounted engine, rear wheel drive
- 510 bhp
- 420 lb ft of torque
- Rear mid-mounted, six-speed automated manual gearbox with auto shift manual/select shift manual (ASM/SSM) electric hydraulic control system
- Magnesium alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
- Twin Plate competition clutch.
- Limited slip differential.
- All round independent double wishbone with fully adjustable Multimatic DSSV dampers.
- Front: Ventilated floating grooved discs with 6 piston callipers
- Rear: Ventilated floating grooved discs with 4 piston callipers
- 120 litre endurance racing fuel tank
Images : Aston Martin V12 Zagato
[Source : ASTON MARTIN]